The topic today is creating a content marketing video, which can be powerful for you and your business. This is not going to be about where or how to publish videos, but rather a few simple steps on how to create a video that’ll provide value for your customers, prospects, etc.
1. Don’t overthink this. This is important. A lot of people have a certain fear when it comes to video creation. They get freaked out when they have to go in front of a camera. I mean, it’s good to have a strategy, and once you do a few videos, it’s worthwhile to improve upon that strategy. But don’t overanalyze. Don’t overthink every single thing viewers might look at. Just keep it simple. Breathe. It’s going to be okay.
2. Plan out the main idea of the video. To put it simply, what are you going to talk about? And what are a few sub-points? Write them down. By the way, keep in mind that it’s good to keep videos under three minutes each.
3. Keep it simple. Again, don’t overthink it. Use something you already have to record the video. Whether it’s your phone or a camera, just go for it. You don’t have to invest in the greatest technology, because the standard stuff is more than good enough right now.
4. Think about the backdrop. It’s good to have a nice little background that’s not too loud, because it can be distracting otherwise. But always remember step one—keeping it simple. Later on you can go deeper with green screens and the like, but for right now, choose something easy and elegant.
5. Before you shoot the video, it’s good to review those bullet points you’re going to talk about. Or, if needed, while you’re shooting, you can actually prepare something to look at to help you get through the video.
6. Record your video. Be happy, smile, and go for it!
7. Review the recording. As you do so, I know you’re going to see something you won’t like. But again, don’t overanalyze this. If you made a little mistake, or had a tiny slip of words, don’t worry. Viewers aren’t picky, so keep that video even if it isn’t perfect. Now, if you made some major mistakes, you should probably redo it.
So those are the seven steps to shooting a video. Go out, take action, and have fun making great content. Have a better than amazing day.